Nov 3, 2009

" A city of rare qualities " for me

Back with a Bang!!!!!! [ My dear friend vasundhara banged me with a fact that we have access to the blogs in the otherwise "access forbidden" google results] ........
So here I am doing what I indeed love to do....... yes u are right [ only a genius can crack it (pun intended)] "BLOGGING" ......... tide and time waits for none!!!!!! and i am not an exception..... As you can see a gap of more than 2 years in my postings...... From a "bankrupt", at least that is what my bank book perpetually showed in college days, has now started showing some figures which are enough to lead a contented life...... Of course "content" is a relative term with a ever fluctuating scale........
and i have moved to a city bustling with activity......... People call this place as "a city which never sleeps"........ yes another clue to decipher for all Sherlock Holmes fans !!!!!!!!! Mumbai........... Never in my wildest dreams did i see myself travelling in a local train at a rush hour, either hanging out or crushed between people....... or rather i should change "wildest dreams to the most horrible dreams".......... but that is exactly how i reach my office daily!!!!!!! Initially it was scary and tiresome..... but we human being are the fastest to adapt to change....... and i have also followed the suit...... oh by the way I also work with a reputed IT Services company........ So in short i have a job paying enough to have my basic necessities fulfilled [Roti Kapda Makaan] and make me stay in mumbai much longer than i imagined.......... oh yes before you think that i earn a hefty amount let me tell you that the makaan is rented!!!!!! In mumbai owing one 2bhk flats equals owner of at least 50lakh..... that is the simple equation.......
Living in a metro is certainly an experience one must have....... not to mention that this "city of dreams" which people call it fondly unlike me, also has its charm......... In this India's economical capital i have seen the widest ever economical divide........ Poorest of poor and wealthiest of wealthy......... Families who sleep on pavement and families with filthy amount of money........
In this very city of dreams I have seen people deprived off sleep for many days let alone to dream........."a city that never sleeps" very rightly said.......... people mindlessly chasing after buses, trains, taxis, money, dreams, career ......... and the list is never ending.......... I sometimes find myself lost in this swarm of people........
But somehow this city has its charm....... the feeling of privacy in a crowd amazes me about this place........ assurance of no misbehaviour in a overbrigde packed with people compels me to like this place....... there are many like this.......... which i name as "a city of rare qualities" .........

2 comments:

Thisisme said...

This L&G is the most simple yet exhaustive(mark of the writer's profound thought!) description of the City of Dreams...It has it all, the suburban trains...the mnultitudes it is abuzz with...the parallel lives...the travel and travails...the upside...and the downside...the struggle...the strife...the dreams...the enigma...the boredom...the best of all, "you can be alone even tho' among multitudes and in a crowd!"
Yes, Esha, you are right.. Mumbai (tho' i would love to call it Bombay...) is indeed a marvellous city. Once, even if only for a month, it is certainly a city worth staying in.
PS: Thanks for the post...more for simplicity and also, for it is my companion at lunch today... :)
Keep Going!!!

Sandipan Mitra said...

City of rare qualities. You know I always craved for big city life. Now I am in a decent sized city but always envy you of being in the biggest city in India. Can't imagine you in bheed trains